The Washington Department of Health announced the first case in the U.S. of a new novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Snohomish County on January 21, 2020 and (by this blog’s publication date) four additional cases have been identified in Illinois, California, and Arizona. The virus emerged in Wuhan, China in December and there are a growing number of cases confirmed in an increasing number of countries.
For more information, we encourage the community and school-based health partners to reference the following resources which will be regularly updated:
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus and Schools – Information for School Nurses and Administrators
- Public Health Insider: Questions and Answers about Novel Corona Virus in Washington
- Coronavirus homepage for Public Health – Seattle & King County: kingcounty.gov/ncov
- Information from the Washington State Department of Health
- For situation and travel updates from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html