In this course, you will learn how you can improve the health of your community by helping your clients quit using tobacco. You will learn how to use brief intervention and Motivational Interviewing techniques to encourage, empower, and assist your clients as they move toward a successful attempt to quit.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the dangers of tobacco use, including secondhand smoke, with clients.
- Identify disparities and equity issues relevant in communities.
- Discuss short and long-term benefits of quitting tobacco.
- Implement the 5A’s and 5R’s as tools to assist clients with tobacco cessation.
- Identify common medications used to aid in tobacco cessation and discuss possible side effects.
- Assist clients to prevent relapse.
Time Required: 90 minutes, completed on your schedule
Learning Format: Self-guided online course
Equipment: Computer with high-speed Internet connection, ability to hear audio (headphones, speakers)
To register, please email Norilyn.firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you are accepted to the course, you will receive a confirmation letter and log-in information. The course is completed at your own pace, however you will have 2 weeks to complete it. The course is only available in English at this time.