It snowed here recently in Western Washington. Some of us rejoiced, others of us cringed. Though in most areas not much snow accumulated, it provided a good reminder to do a winter weather check-up at our SBHCs. Here are a few tips to consider to prepare your SBHC for winter weather:
- Know your school or school district‘s inclement weather plan
- Know your agency‘s inclement weather plan
- Are you considered “essential personnel?”
- How do you communicate with your supervisor if you cannot safely get to work?
- Figure out transportation alternatives
- Does your bus/train run on a snow route?
- Pack and keep a storm kit at work
- Set up a communications plan with your family members in case of severe weather
- Review your agency’s power outage plan
- How will you protect vaccine?
- How will you chart if you don’t have access to your electronic medical record?
With a little planning, winter weather can be less cringe-worthy. Stay safe and warm!